Sunday, June 30, 2013

My First Fully-loaded Long-distance Ride Starts Tomorrow Morning

Now that I've cycled across the US, down the east coast and down the west coast, it's time to try carrying all my gear and ditching the van.  Despite the forecast of unusual heat for the Pacific Northwest, I will head east to my daughter's house in Ennis, Montana tomorrow morning.  Joining me will be Jim and Diana, a couple from St. Louis I met on my trip down the west coast last year.  What appeals to me about carrying all my stuff is the independence.  We have no reservations at any hotels or parks and retain the ability to change our itinerary on a whim.  We are in no hurry.

As an example of this flexibility, we intend to head to North Bend, WA in the morning where we will pick up the John Wayne Pioneer Trail.  I have ridden this trail twice before in preparation for this trip.  It follows an abandoned railroad bed which parallels I-90 to Snoqualmie Pass where cyclists and walkers enter a 2.2 mile tunnel under the peak of the Cascade range.  We intend to camp the first night just short of that tunnel and press on to Cle Elum, WA the next day.  At that point we will decide whether we want to continue due east and cross the Columbia on I-90 at Vantage, or head north toward Leavenworth and spend July 4th at our cabin before heading east through Wenatchee.  I will let you know what we decide.


No comments:

Post a Comment