Monday, October 10, 2011

Beaufort, NC to Savannah, GA - 47 miles

Fortunately, today was a short day, because it rained the entire ride.  Leaving Beaufort, we crossed several bridges with heavy traffic.  After about 10 miles, we got to less traveled roads, but the rain continued.  About 43 miles into the ride, we entered Georgia on a road that was too busy for pictures, and rode across the beautiful Talmadge Bridge, spanning the Back River, Hutchinson Island and the Savanah River, into downtown Savannah.  Savannah is a beautiful city which Jeanne and I were fortunate enough to have visited a few years back after we left Charleston.  I am looking forward to spending an extra day here, our last rest day of the trip.

I'd like to comment on the subject of mosquitoes.  I make a point not to say anything negative about places in my blog.  However, I must say that the mosquitoes have been pretty bad since we reached the south part of North Carolina.  At one point on the day we were sprinting to make the noon ferry to Ocracoke Island, several riders stopped to relieve themselves on the side of the rode.  I stopped as well, but was so quickly swarmed with mosquitoes that I pressed on despite the full bladder.  Yesterday, the same thing happened when I stopped to take a picture of the ruins of an old church outside Beaufort.  I was so busy swatting the pests that the picture I took of the church was blurred, so it didn't make last night's blog.  However, a fellow rider e-mailed a better picture this afternoon.  What was so interesting was that it appeared to be a very large church in the middle of nowhere.  Note the Spanish Moss on the trees in the picture.  The plaque above gives its history, which is very interesting.  It was burned by the British in The Revolutionary War and again by the "Federal Army" in 1865.  Apparently, they gave up and had have not rebuilt it.  A fellow rider who is also a former high school history teacher mentioned that in the South they don't recognize the "civil war," so the plaque doesn't use the term "Union Army."

No comments:

Post a Comment